mould in the butter dish

 Imagine my surprise, nay disgust, when I spotted that there was a smidge of mould in the bottom left corner of the - usually spotless - white china butter dish.

A few days ago I spotted mould in my butter dish. It is a standard butter dish,  white porcelain with a lid, it can house a 250 gr block of butter with room to spare above - fits nicely from side to side, though.

Yes, I was alarmed and - naturally - started to blame myself.   Had I used a dirty knife to cut into the butter?   I do have 'butter knives' but they are made for the small, silver individual portion butter dishes - of which I have one.   And, of course, I do not distinguish between the butter that is on the breakfast table and the butter I use for cooking...though the utensils to cut the butter obviously differ....And yes, I use the knife with butter on it to spread the butter on my piece of bread - and re-use it if I have not taken enough butter first go... We shall quickly pass over the use of the 'butter' knife to get jam onto the bread...


(Please bear in mind that, as a single person, I no longer use a dishwasher but wash dishes and utensils as meals go by...so the water used for washing is obviously at hand-sympathetic temperatures.) 

You would think there should be mould in the jam-jars given the amount of sugar in them, the little use they get and the fact that their lids no longer fit tightly once opened...but so far, so good.   I put it down to the preservative qualities of cooked sugar.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dead Tree Standing...

Coming to terms with things Catalan ..

Not thinking, just doing as instructed - recipe for disaster?